by Alicia Z. Klepeis
Around the World in a Jelly Bean
- Australia - Smoothie Blend flavors, Bubble Gum, Buttered Popcorn and Strawberry Cheesecake
- England - Beanaturals, Very Cherry, Green Apple, and Bubble Gum
- Germany - Very Cherry, Tutti Fruitti, Green Apple, Red Apple
- Hong Kong - Lemon Lime, Candy Floss (aka Cotton Candy), Bubble Gum, Coconut
- Korea - Berry Blue, Candy Floss, Lemon, and Lemon Lime
From jelly beans to strange snakes, Alicia Klepeis loves to research fun and out-of-the-ordinary topics that make nonfiction exciting for readers. A freelance writer who writes for numerous magazines geared toward both children and adults, she began her career as a geographer at the National Geographic Society. While teaching World Geography in Massachusetts, she enjoyed making murals of the Great Barrier Reef, doing Tai Chi, listening to African music, and sharing Japanese candy with her students.
Alicia is passionate about travel. One of her biggest adventures to date was building solar ovens in Sumbawa, Indonesia as part of an Earthwatch team. Learning to use power tools was a challenge, but singing “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” to a local high school English class was even harder. In addition to short stints living abroad in Poland and France, she has lived two of the last nine years in Australia. New places present opportunities to try new types of candy and ice cream. Corn-studded ice cream in Singapore was interesting but not as good as the hokey pokey variety in New Zealand. She lives with her husband and three children in upstate New York. She is currently working on several projects involving international food, cool inventions, and world cultures. Her website is http://www.aliciaklepeis.com/.