Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tootin' My Own Horn...Just a Bit

I thought since my other interviewee had to be postponed, I'd post my interview with Shelley from Empower Your Destiny - Thanks Shelley it was fun!

How would you describe yourself, Sandie?

Hmmm...I guess I'd say, strong, independent, self-motivated, strong-willed, a go-getter and perhaps, a bit sarcastic at times (all right all the time).

What inspired you to do what you do?

I never went to college so I worked at various retail jobs - clothing, wedding planning/flower arranging, toy store, pet shop, veterinary assistant. These were fun for awhile, but left me more frustrated than fulfilled. So on a dare I started writing, determined to make it as a children's writer (and of course win the bet). But somewhere along the line I found my natural calling and fell in love with the industry - that was 17 years ago now! Come to think of it...I never did collect on that bet.

How long have you been involved in your business?
17 years give or take as a writer and about 4 months with Imagination-cafe; http://imagination-cafe.com/

How do you handle the rejection that comes along w/being an Entrepreneur, and what advice would you give to others?

Rejection stinks when it follows anything you attempt in life, but as a writer it comes as frequently as you put your work out there - for the most part. But as someone famous once said...you're guaranteed to fail if you never try. All you can do is keep trying, honing your skills, practice, practice, practice and sooner or later you'll hit the mark.

What keeps you motivated?

The love of the industry and writing as a whole. You have to love, I mean really L.O.V.E what you do. It's hard to stay on the track if you feel like you're just slogging through the mud.

Tell us a little about your family relationship; if you have one:

I have a wonderful Hubby of 15 years - we've actually been together for 25 years (high school sweethearts and now I'm aging myself). He's actually the one who dared me to start the writing, so I guess I owe it all to him (shhh, don't tell him).

I also live with 3 felines that pretty much rule the house and many outdoor critters that keep me entertained and on my toes.

How do you prioritize family with your Entrepreneurial responsibilities?

Well, since it's just my Hubby and I, it's easier than for most work-at-home people. My "office" is actually my kitchen table, so I can cook, clean, do laundry (all that fun stuff) while checking email, researching, uploading, etc. Basically, I'm part juggler. part monkey, part octopus :0

Where do you see yourself in 5yrs?

I'd like to say making a ton of money doing what I love, but this industry is a fickle-friend/foe. So hopefully, happy, healthy and still doing what I love - writing, editing, blogging, working for a children's magazine.

Biggest life lesson learned?

Being nice doesn't always get you what you want; sometimes you have to fight for it!

Biggest lesson you’ve learned in business?

GO FOR IT!!! No one is going to just walk up to you and hand it over. Plus, hard work and determination.

All Entrepreneurs encounter bad days. How do you handle yours?

Seriously? You're going to make me admit this? Okay...I put on my pj's and fuzzy slippers, grab a good book (and perhaps a big bowl of chocolate covered almonds), brew some green tea and crawl back into bed. Oh and did I mention this is after I've had a roaring-stomp-around-the-house-belittling-myself episode?

How do you relax?

I like to go outside and "play with nature" - feed the birds, water the flowers, take some pictures, just take a deep breath and get away from the computer. I sometimes will write something for fun, not worrying about marketability or come up with some new and fun ideas for my editor-in-chief to mull over ;)

Share your favorite quote or inspirational thought:

I don't really have one, but I just read this one by Helen Keller which is wonderful...
”I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.”

Any last words for our TEC readers?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my interview - hope I wasn't too boring. Also check out Imagination-cafe (http://imagination-cafe.com/) where I'm the assistant editor, blog editor and newsletter editor. This is an awesome, FREE ezine for kids 4-12. We have tons of unique, fun and totally safe things for kids to do online. Check it out! Keep me employed :)

Check out, Empower Your Own Destiny - http://empoweryourdestiny.info/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check Out All the Fun We're Having

Here's Some...

Here's Some...
Sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter - The Cafe Buzz at; http://eepurl.com/Q8-T
Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory